« Home 

Friday, May 05, 2006 

Jumping on the bandwagon

I love reading food blogs, so I thought I'd start my own. Mostly, it's a place for me to publish my own recipes, write reviews of other recipes, and link to other wonderful food blogs!

Why not start off with a bang?


Homemade Green Chile


I made this recipe last night and poured it over chicken, rice and bean burritos, but you can use it for nearly any topping, or even to dip a nice crusty bread in. Very tasty! If you're not into spicy, cut down the jalapenos by one or so.

Makes about 3 cups.

5-6 good sized tomatillos
1 small can diced green chiles
2 jalapenos, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

1. Remove husks from tomatillos and wash well. Cut tomatillos into quarters and put into a food processor, and process until tomatillos are finely chopped (about the consistency of salsa). Add tomatillos to large skillet or 3-qrt pot, and set stove temperature to medium-high.

2. Add can of chopped green chiles to tomatillos.

3. Finely mince jalapenos and garlic, and add to tomatillo mixture, along with 1 cup of chicken broth.

As the mixture comes to a boil, the tomatillos will change to an army green color and become soft. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20-25 minutes until liquid is reduced and chile is thickened. The starches from the tomatillos will naturally thicken the sauce so there's no need to add a rue.

4. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Like I mentioned, this goes great over burritos. We love to add diced chicken or pork to it and get a good crusty french bread and use it for a dip. You could even refrigerate leftovers and use it for salsa the next day.

About me

  • I'm The Bride who Loved Food
  • From Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
My profile

Previous posts

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates