« Home | Cheap dates for cheapies like me » | Jumping on the bandwagon » 

Saturday, May 06, 2006 

Banana Banana Bread

I pulled this recipe from allrecipes.com, as we had a bunch o' bananas that were going bad pretty fast, and I didn't want them to go to waste. It's a pretty easy recipe and doesn' take much to prepare and get going.

Banana Banana Bread
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas (I used 5 good-sized bananas, and probably could have used 6)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Stir banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for ~40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
The original recipe called for one bread pan and to bake for 60 minutes. I divided the batter into two pans and reduced baking time to approximately 40 minutes. When you use just one pan, you'll end up with crispy edges and a mushy center. If divided into two, then it comes out just right.

I also added about a cup of chocolate chips to my batter, but you can add your own variations-nuts, dried cranberries, even cinnamon and vanilla.

I'd give this recipe a 4 out of 5 bananas, because of the modifications I had to make. Other than that, it makes for a wonderful Saturday morning breakfast!